On the 4th of July, 1876, as the United States turned 100, a group of people [the 'Boston Party'] from the east built a flagpole out of a pine tree and raised the American flag in Antelope Spring. The town was named for the flag staff which was still standing. Six years later (1882), a railroad--the Atlantic and Pacific Railway--was constructed through Antelope Spring. According to Platt Cline, although the railroad was built through this area, the flagpole was not located there. Cline indicated the flagpole was near present-day Marshall School, not near Antelope Spring. Photographer William Henry Jackson traveled from Denver to photograph the Grand Canyon in 1883. He returned to the Canyon in 1892.