Detail of Padre Canyon Bridge railing. This bridge was constructed in 1913, and the Winslow-Flagstaff highway that ran across the bridge became the first alignment of Route 66 in 1926. This bridge and alignment were abandoned at Padre Canyon in 1937 when a larger steel bridge was placed to the south of this bridge. The photo is oriented to south (west on Route 66). This bridge is a virtual twin of the Diablo Canyon Bridge at Two Guns. March 1992.