Meteor Crater Observatory on old abandoned 1937 Route 66 alignment just east of Meteor Crater Road. Prior to the opening of the crater site, tourists could view the crater from the tower. Harry Locke began working the property along Route 66 with a cafe and gas station at Meteor Station in the late 1920s. The tower and museum building were constructed in the late 1930s, and Meteor Station was leased to and operated by Rimmy Jim Giddings. The Observatory passed to Harvey Nininger in 1946. The station and observatory were abandoned when Route 66 was re-aligned in 1949, leaving both buildings off of the new highway. March 1992.